When it comes to being healthy there is definitely no “one glove fits all”. However since I have been working with people over the years closely who are stressed and are pushed towards living an unhealthy lifestyle some of these time-tested tips are guaranteed to work for each one of you.
Kindly do note that these are definitely not in any particular order but I have put this up from my own experiences over the years.
- Consistency is the key to success. A workout here or there is going to get you nowhere. Lay out a plan & execute it every single time.
- You burn the highest % of calories from fat while at rest which is maximized when we sleep. Forget the fat burning zone & instead focus on total calories burned.
- Condition yourself to eat for fuel, not for pleasure. Food is meant to be nourishment for your body and mind. Find a more productive way to achieve gratification other than through eating.
- There are a Zillion reasons why you can’t start a fitness program. Kick out the excuses away, drop the word can’t, and start focusing on reasons for why you should.
- Don’t waste your calories on drinks. Drink water instead, and save your calories for nutrient dense foods such as vegetables & fruits.
- Make exercise a priority and part of your everyday routine. I always come across people who complain of lack of time. My advice to each of them is to wake up half an hour earlier and invest in regular exercise.It’s one of the best investment.
- The best time to work out is at a time you will always do it. Whether it’s morning, afternoon or night, choose a time that will keep your workouts consistent.
- There is no one best time to work out. The key is to be consistent. Whether it’s early morning, afternoon or late evening stick to a time when you can always do it.
- When you start a fitness program, the people around you will either support you or tear you down. Ignore their negativity.
- Don’t make excuses. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, can have the body they want – if they would just knock down the walls they’ve built around themselves.
- Don’t be afraid to eat carbs. They (glucose) are the brain’s primary source of fuel, and your body’s energy source for high-intensity exercise. Focus on eating low-glycemic carbs for a slow and steady release of glucose. There are more than enough options of food with low GI Carbs.
- Work on small wins. Each time you reach your smaller goal, it gives you the motivation and confidence to continue on. Start small, and eventually the weight loss will add up. This is also the healthiest way to lose weight.
- It doesn’t matter who’s faster or stronger than you are. This isn’t a race. All that matters is that YOU are faster and stronger than the previous you. Don’t worry about other people. Focus on setting and breaking your own records.
- Stay away from artificial sweeteners. Anything other than water that has 0 calories when it comes to sports drink shouldn’t be put into your mouth.
- Weight loss is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. If you can take control of your mind and body, the weight loss will follow.
- Diet, exercise, and rest are the 3 cornerstones to a well thought out fitness program. An equal importance should be placed on all 3 of them. I call this “Wellness Tripod”
- Start eating healthy today – not tomorrow, not next month. Don’t rationalize your bad eating habits. Today is going to be a great day. Say goodbye to unhealthy food and start right now with what you do have. Stepping up is half done?
- Your workouts should take no more than 45-60 minutes to complete at a time. The longer your workout goes, the greater the increase in negative side effects (injuries, hormones, etc.).More often than not, you will see me stepping in and out of exercise regimen in 45-50 minutes Max.
- The majority of diets fail in the first 48 hours. If you can stick it out through the first couple of days, your success rate increases several fold.
- Always choose fitness activities that you enjoy. Your heart knows no difference between Tennis and running. It only knows perceived stress. The idea is to get your heart rate up any way you can.
- Your lifestyle is highly influenced by the people close to you. To be fit, surround yourself with fit people or better include all of them in your fitness transformation journey.
- Change your workout routine every few months. Your nervous system adapts quickly to different stimuli. Always keep things new to continue progressing.
- Don’t start a fitness program that has an expiration date. Focus on forming a lifestyle change that will last forever.
- Eat, sleep & exercise at predetermined times. Your body adapts to these times, and growth is maximized.
- Whatever is your other engagements always look at making time for 7-8 hrs of restful sleep. It is not a luxury but a necessity for your overall well-being.
However if you have already tried most of the things mentioned and are still not able to increase your health quotient, then in my opinion more things need to be worked on at the sub-conscious level.
Click on the link below to connect with me for a “No Obligation strategy call” where we can discuss on the way to go forward in working on your biggest challenges.
Working with a professional coach who can listen to your frustrations non-judgmentally and support you will help you get results faster.
Besides working with clients 1 on 1, I also engage with corporate teams through my Group Wellness Sessions.
Through these sessions, your team will learn to make powerful changes to their current engagement and improve performance. In my personal Intervention, I will teach them how to…
- Develop a die-hard attitude for their personal and professional lives
- Create an empowering Successful Wellness Road-map in their life
- Double, triple or even quintuple their energy levels by teaching them small actionable steps.
Are you an executive who’s looking to increase your team’s overall productivity? The mail me on email@example.com to bring in the much needed change within your team.
Thank you for reading my post. I regularly write about Leadership, Health & Wellness.